Soups of the World - Italian Wedding Soup

I couldn't resist making this soup, I've never had meatballs in a soup before. The name apparently refers to the marriage of meat and green vegetables in the soup. Let's find out if they're a happy couple :)


Ingredients:

400g ground meat
1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs or panko
3  eggs
1/2 cup grated cheese, divided
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoons black pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 onion
4 cloves garlic
4 cups chicken stock
1 bunch greens 


 
 

Put half the cheeses, an egg, oregano, mince, breadcrumbs, salt & pepper in a bowl and squidge it together with your hands. Or one hand if like me you're trying to take a picture at the same time!


Form the mixture into small meatballs and brown them off in a pan with some of the oil. Don't worry about cooking them completely at this point because they'll cook more in the soup later.


Mix together the remaining cheese with the last two eggs. Set aside for later.


Chop up the onion and garlic then saute them in the oil you have left.


 Chop the greens into bite-size pieces.


 Add the stock and greens to the pan then bring to the boil for a minute.


Add the meatballs, reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.


 Lastly, stir in the cheese/egg mixture and let cook for a final minute so the egg bits are cooked.



While I was making the meatballs I couldn't resist trying one and they're the tastiest meatballs I've ever had. I'll definitely be using this recipe again for the meatballs alone. It's not the prettiest soup I've seen but the taste makes up for that. The egg and cheese gives the chicken broth more substance as well as flavour. The meatballs and greens are a marriage made in heaven and I'll try not to judge them for letting many other ingredients into the marital bowl since it makes for a delicious soup. :)

Comments

  1. I'm going to try this! What are the greens you used?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll reply here too in case anyone else wondered. Spring Greens! :D x

      Delete

Post a Comment