Mauritania - Chickpea Couscous

Mauritania is a West African country that contains part of the Sahara Desert. They eat a lot of couscous so I picked this simple dish to replicate the rippling dunes of the Sahara. :D


Ingredients:

Couscous
Chickpeas
Oil (optional)


Pour the couscous into a dish.


Cover with boiling water and leave for 20 minutes for it to be absorbed.


Use a fork to fluff up the couscous. Add 3 tablespoons of oil (optional) and more boiling water. Leave for 10 minutes again to absorb the liquid. Fluff again, season with salt & pepper and add warmed chickpeas to the top.


I was expecting this dish to be quite bland tasting so I was pleasantly surprised. The oil added flavour to the couscous so I'd recommend using it. JD enjoyed it so much he got carried away and rated it 4/5 even though we don't usually rate these blog foods. :D

This dish was a nice side dish to have with our meal but I still prefer couscous with a nice lamb stew poured over it.

Comments