Côte d'Ivoire - Kedjenou

My 154th food is from the Ivory Coast which is another West African country. This stew is made in several different ways but usually in a sealed pot with no added water to moisten the meat and vegetables. I'm going to try making it in my slow cooker.

Ingredients:
  • 2-3 chicken breasts
  • 1 aubergine
  • 2-3 tomatoes
  • 2 onions
  • 1 teaspoon of chilli flakes
  • 2-3 garlic cloves
  • 1 inch ginger
  • 1 teaspoon thyme
  • 1 bay leaf

I put an inch of boiling water in the bottom of my slow cooker then I made a kind of cradle for the stew with foil so it wouldn't touch the water. Everything gets chopped into bite sized pieces and added to the pot. Mince the ginger and garlic before adding that too.


 The foil makes for a tight fitting lid to make sure the pot is properly sealed. Cook on low for 5 hours.


Afterwards it'll look like this.


This stew had a very intense flavour. The chicken was a texture I'd never had before, JD said it was more like flaked fish. The stew was quite nice but a bit dry. I know it's supposed to be like that but it's unusual for us. The aubergine was all shriveled up not that I'm a fan of it anyway. the onions and tomatoes were lovely in it. Overall the dish would've been better with a bit more liquid (just a tiny amount would do). Interesting dish, anyway. :)

Comments