Madagascar - Mofo Makasaoka


There was plenty of ideas for foods to try from Madagascar but I couldn't resist this recipe for baguette fritters. My youngest daughter Erin loves baguettes so I wonder what she'll think of a fried one.

Ingredients:

1 1/3 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
4 tbls sugar
1 egg
2/3 cup water


Place the dry ingredients in a bowl.


Add the wet ingredients and stir well to form a batter. Cover and leave in the fridge for about an hour.


Slice up the baguette into thin pieces.


Dip it in the batter to coat it. The batter was incredibly thick which made it hard to get it to stick to the bread properly.


Fry the slices in some hot oil until browned.



The baguette fritters were a success with Leigh and Erin. They both ate them and said they enjoyed them. I enjoyed them too. I hadn't known what to expect and thought they might be a bit plain or dry. When I first bit into one it was hard to tell where the batter ended and the bread inside began, it was more like eating a solid bread product. The batter was crisp and nicely sweet and the inside was slightly chewy and soft.

Nice :)

Comments