Guyana - Guyanese Vanilla Fudge


I'm nothing if not persistent so here I am 5 years later still making foods from around the world. This is the 150th dish I've made. And it's fudge, my nemesis! I've never successfully made fudge but due to my persistent nature, I keep trying.


Ingredients:

1 can evaporated milk
1 can condensed milk
2 cups brown sugar
3/4 cup water
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


Open the cans of milk and pour them into a big pan. Add the sugar and water.


 Slowly heat the pan, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.  Bring the mixture to a boil and stir in a figure of eight until the mixture thickens. Take off the heat and stir in the butter and vanilla.


 Pour into a greased dish and put in the fridge to set.



FUDGE FAIL. Yep, yet again the fudge didn't set. I put it down to my impatience. Maybe I stop boiling (and stirring) too soon. I stirred it for a good 20 minutes and then couldn't take any more.

It did taste good though and Leigh is always pleased with un-set fudge to eat. This attempt was closer to fudge consistency than ever before. I feel close to cracking it. Maybe just one more try...

Comments