Macedonia - Tavče Gravče

This recipe seemed like a good winter comfort food choice seeing as it's freezing here today! Also it's a variety of beans I haven't tried before so I get to try a new food too :)

Ingredients:

2 cans of cannellini beans
1 onion
3 cloves of garlic
salt & pepper
ground cumin
smoked paprika
chilli flakes
oil


 Open the cans and place lovingly in a pan. Cook on a medium to hot heat.


 Chop up an onion.


 Cook the onion in a bit of oil until soft.


 Add the onion to the beans and continue to cook to reduce the liquid.


 Next you need to make the zaprška which is spices fried in oil to make the flavours mix together. Add all the spices, salt and pepper to a tablespoon of hot oil and mix it well. It smells fantastic as the spices heat up and combine.


 The beans should be quite thick by now (about 20 minutes).


 Stir in the spice oil and serve.


Once the spiced oil is mixed into the beans they turn a lovely yellow/orange colour and look shiny from the oil. The beans were creamy and thick, I really enjoyed the texture of the whole dish. The spices all tasted delicious together, quite hot and spicy which is perfect with creamy soft beans. I enjoyed this dish more than I thought I would. It's a simple food and easy to make. I can see myself making it again for my husband JD to try as he loves beans of all kinds.

Comments