Tanzania - Coconut bean soup

Whilst looking for a suitable recipe for Tanzania I noticed that coconut milk is often used (which I love) so I found this interesting looking soup to make. I also get brownie points with my husband because he loves beans of every kind :)

Ingredients:

1 chopped onion
Knob of butter
1 green pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp pepper
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 can kidney beans
1 can coconut milk
750mL water
125g cooked rice






Saute the onions in the butter until soft.



Chop the green pepper and add it to the pan along with the salt, pepper and curry powder. I didn't have curry powder so I kind of made my own with garlic granules, tumeric and cumin. It smelled great while it cooked.



Next add the chopped tomatoes. 






I was ready to eat it at this stage because it smelled delicious! But hold back and wait, it gets better :D Add the coconut milk and kidney beans. Simmer for 10 minutes. (Note: Here the recipe says to add the water too. I chose not to as we prefer a thicker soup)





Lastly add the cooked rice and simmer for a further 5 minutes. 




At last! The agonizing wait is over and the soup is ready to eat. Hurrah! 







We had ours with sausage sandwiches but it's really filling and easily works as a meal all on its own. It was delicious. The coconut milk makes the soup really creamy and adds a lovely delicate flavour to it. JD had more the next day and said it tasted even better then. I would definitely have this again.

Comments