Kuwait - Balaleet

This sweet vermicelli noodle recipe looked interesting so I had to try it.

Ingredients:

1 packet vermicelli
1 tbsp butter
1 tsp cardamom powder
1/2 tsp saffron
1/2 – 2/4 cup sugar
4 eggs
1 onion



I didn't have any cardamom powder so I crushed up some cardamom pods in my pestle and mortar with the saffron.  I mushed them up until they were well combined and fragrant.



Add the vermicelli to some boiling water and cook for just a couple of minutes as it cooks really quickly.



Put the sugar in with the saffron/cardamom and mix it in well. Combine with drained vermicelli.



Melt the butter in a pan.



Chop the onion and add it to the butter. Saute until softened.



Add the eggs and cook until the eggs form an omelette (or scrambled eggs if preferred).



Put the vermicelli in a bowl and top with the eggs.



The cardamom added to the noodles had a really nice flavour but I was disappointed with the saffron. I expected it to add more to the dish. I also found the noodles to be quite dry with no sauce on them. The noodles combined with the eggs on top was a great texture though and I enjoyed that aspect of the dish.

Comments