Burkina Faso - Peanut Soup

I'd never heard of this country but apparently it's a land-locked West African country. I found this recipe for a peanut soup that's popular there although I feel unsure if they use peanut butter in the recipe, who knows?

Ingredients:

1 large onion
1 red pepper
2 cloves of garlic
1 can of chopped tomatoes
4 cups of water
salt and pepper
1/2 cup of brown rice
1/2 jar of crunchy peanut butter
chili powder



Chop the onion and red pepper.



Heat some oil in a large pan and soften the chopped onion and red pepper. Adding the chopped garlic after a few minutes.



Add the tin of tomatoes and stir in.



Add the water, salt, pepper and chili powder. Stir well and then simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.



Add the rice and simmer again but covered this time for 15 minutes. (The rice wasn't tender after 15 minutes for me so I had to simmer it for an extra 20 minutes)



Stir in the peanut butter and serve in a bowl with some crusty bread.



The soup smelled delicious while it was cooking and when I ladled it into the bowl it was a lovely thick consistency so I was looking forward to tasting it. But the taste was really disappointing. The peanut butter gave the soup a weirdly sweet taste I didn't enjoy. The texture of the soup was nice. The peanut butter and brown rice were kind of crunchy and the soup was creamy from the peanut butter too. Overall though it had a very unusual taste, a taste I'm not keen to ever taste again!

Comments