Sierra Leone - Lemon Chicken and Okra

I wanted to try this recipe because I've never had okra. It was tricky to find and after asking at several grocery shops and supermarkets I found it on Tesco's website.

Ingredients:

* 2 chicken breasts
* 1/2 tsp paprika
* 1 lemon
* salt and pepper
* 2 cups of chicken stock
* 1/2 cup of rice
* 2 tomatoes
* 1 cup okra
* 1 onion
* 1 can of tomato puree
* 1/2 tsp turmeric



Put the chicken in a bowl and squeeze the lemon juice over it. Cover and put it in the fridge for 30 minutes.



Chop the onion and saute it in a bit of oil until it's cooked. remove from pan and set aside.



Put the chicken in the pan with the stock. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 12 minutes.



Now add the puree, chopped tomatoes, onion, rice, turmeric, paprika, salt and pepper.



Stir well. Cook for 30 minutes adding the okra about 10 minutes from the end so it'll just be cooked.



Serve with more rice if you like.



I really liked it. The okra had an interesting texture that went well with the rice and the lemony chicken was really delicious. Very nice! I've got some okra left and I'm going to try it fried like they have it in the South.

Comments