Latvia - Kaposti

Kaposti seems to be a Latvian version of the German sauerkraut. I've never tried sauerkraut so I'm looking forward to this recipe.

Ingredients:

* any kind of cabbage
* 2-3 slices of bacon
* jar of sauerkraut
* 1 carrot
* 1 tbls sugar



Cook the bacon to release the bacon fat. This is a classic example of not reading the recipe properly first. I got lean bacon so added some oil to the pan instead. I ended up with bacon flavoured oil at least!



Remove the bacon and eat in a sandwich. Yum! Shred the cabbage and add to the fat. Sprinkle with the sugar. Stir well and cook on a low heat for around 5 minutes.



Grate the carrot and add to the cabbage. Stir it in and cook for a further 2 minutes.



Add the sauerkraut but not all the juices, about half will do. Stir it in well. Cover and cook for about 30 minutes.



Serve with some grilled sausages.




Mmm this was a great side to go with sausages. I could taste the bacon in the kaposti and it went really well together. I ate it warm with the sausages and also later ate some cold. It's delicious either way. I'll definitely be making this again next time I have a barbecue. It'd be good on burgers too. Easy to make and tasty!

Comments