Papua New Guinea - Bully Beef Casserole

I love recipes with only a few ingredients and these are all store cupboard ingredients too, even better. Plus I love corned beef, I know it's not prime meat cuts but it's so tasty!

Ingredients:

* Rice

* Can of chopped tomatoes

* Can of corned beef

* Can of cream of coconut



Cook the rice in some boiling water for 10-15 minutes until almost soft.



Put half of the rice in an oven-proof dish or bowl.



Spread half the canned tomatoes over the rice.



Spread half the corned beef over the canned tomatoes.



Now do another layer of each using up all the rice, tomatoes and corned beef.



Now pour the coconut cream over the casserole. (I almost didn't want to do this, I've had bad experiences with adding coconut cream to things. I did it though, just for the sake of the blog!).



Put it in the oven on Gas Mark 6 for 25-30 minutes or until it's well heated through.



Spoon into a bowl and serve.



The smell of the casserole when it came out of the oven was awful, all I could smell was warm coconut and it wasn't very appetitising at all. I bravely tried it though and it was fantastic, really delicious. The coconut cream makes the saltiness of the corned beef more pronounced somehow, I really liked it. Easy to make and ingredients that will keep in the cupboard for ages!

Comments

  1. Thanks for this. I just made it and it's pretty good. A bit odd, but interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, glad you enjoyed it. It is a bit of a weird recipe but it's good to try something a bit different sometimes. :D

      Delete

Post a Comment